Saturday, June 28, 2008

Knees

I seem to have injured my knee a little. It happened at jodo practice, but the back story is relevant, I think.

I hadn't been going to practice very often for one reason or another, but I had been going to the gym quite frequently, and lifting pretty heavy weights with my legs. I recently changed gyms and my new gym has a squat machine that is a bit too small for me - even on the furthest seat setting, I have to start from a very tight squat position and I could feel that it was putting stress on my knee. One day, I felt a "twinge" in my left knee, but it didn't hurt so much that I stopped.

Then, I went to Jodo. I don't usually warm up much before jodo, because we do Kihon and warm up "naturally". But on this particular day, I jumped right into koryu and was trying to do Neya no Uchi. I wasn't popping up strongly enough, so I was being told to go from a one-knee position, to a straight-legged "ready to go" posture. I didn't have much luck with that - my legs just aren't strong enough to launch me forward like that.

The next day, my left knee was really hurting me, especially when going up stairs and in particular when my knee straightened out. It still hurts, in fact.

So, I have been trying to do a self-diagnosis using information on the internet. I should go to the doctor, but ... simper simper ... I don't know if I have coverage for this kind of thing, it's hard to get time off work, it doesn't hurt THAT much, maybe I should just rest it for a while, etc.

In the meantime, I am taking a break from iaido, at least. I think my left knee is worse than my right knee as a direct result of tate-hiza always being done on the left side.

Anyway, anybody have any experience with this kind of pain: short, sharp pain inside the knee, very centralized, occurs when you straighten the knee out when it is bearing weight?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was playing basketball years back I was running and felt a little twinge in my knee. But it didn't really hurt much so I played the rest of the game.

The next day I woke up and went to stand and almost passed out from the pain. I was on crutches for a few weeks. But I think this injury was more to the back or side of my knee rather than inside it, I can't remember.

Either way I think you should see a doctor. Maybe it is nothing but don't risk it with your knees. You don't want to get to the stage of knee surgery.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

I had simlar pain after learning tsuba wari (well, I haven't really learned it but you get the idea). It was deep inside the middle of the joint. MRI showed torn cartlidge. A quick scope and the orthopedic surgeon cleaned it right up. I was back in the dojo in 2 or 3 weeks. This was 2 years ago and I still wear a tensor-type knee brace.

Good luck,
Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

7:35 PM  
Blogger Frederic Lecut said...

Yes, I very well know what you mean, suffering from it right this day. Some light Karate sparring yesterday and gave a short iaido demonstration. the pain is a sort of burning on the inside of the knee, in fact more acute between the thigh bone and tibia. MOstly when I extend the joint, or when I try to kneel - I could not get in Seiza this evening for iaido.
It has happened before, it goes away by itself, I also tried electro acupuncture, which seems to have helped.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

More than likely you have a torn minescus. Get an MRI on it prior to any operation for it will certainly take operating to fix it. I now maintain strength in it by daily wing chun training. Good luck.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home