Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Ontario Open Iaido Tournament

I was back in Canada ever-so-briefly (well it seems that way, looking back) in August. I was happy to have the chance to stop in to the Ontario Open Iaido Tournament, held at the beautiful Japanese Canadian Cultural Center (or JCCC) in Toronto. This is a very well-organized annual event. This year, the tournament was held on Sunday, following an all-day seminar on Saturday, which I sadly wasn't able to attend.

The whole thing seemed to run very smoothly. I was asked by one of the organizers how it compared to tournaments in Japan. I would say that it compared very favourably, both in terms of organization and quality of competitors. I did feel that the atmosphere was a tad too quiet -- despite being held in a huge room, but you could hear a pin drop! In Japan, the audience is a little bit larger, and correspondingly noisier.

I couldn't stay long enough to find out who won. (I showed up, disrupted things, and then left, which is kind of becoming "my style".) So ... anybody care to leave a comment with the results? Onegaishimasu.

Carole Galligan

Ed Chart

Showing fine form in front of the JCCC logo

5 Comments:

Anonymous Patrick Suen said...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for coming. ^_^

The results can be found here: http://www.jccciaido.com/2009OntarioOpen/2009_Ontario_Open-Iaido.html

Hope to see you again, sometime soon, with actual time to talk.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Toronto realtor said...

Hi,
I just moved recently to Toronto. I learned from your article about the Japan centre. I am glad about that, as I really love Japan, I spent there quite a long time. Hope would have chance get back one day. At least I can visit the centre now.
Thanks.
Julie

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2009-9,16.

FROM : TAMPA WITH...BUDO !!!

PLEASE WE LIKE TO RECEIVE YOURS

COOMENTS ON
TANAKA FUMON SOKE

OF ENSHINRYU ORG..

PLEASE TRAIN HARD..
ANDREY FROM TAMPA BAY.
MEIGETSU_DOJO@YAQHOO.COM

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2009-9,16.

from : tampa with... budo.

congrats it is very interesting.
we like to receive your comments
on the popular
tanaka fumon soke please.

thank you !

andrey.
meigetsu_dojo@yahoo.com

10:31 AM  
Blogger Kevin Adams said...

Hi Jeff -

Thanks for making time to come by! I'm sorry that we didn't have more time to chat, but I'm glad that you enjoyed your brief time with us :)

A full writeup on the taikai and seminar is forthcoming - I'll post a link when we get it up...

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home