Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Jodo Club

The APU Jodo Club has started practicing ... and this is yet more proof (as if you needed any) that I am NEVER happy!

Well, it's great that we've started. Finally. But we have no place to practice, so we're doing it outside, from 6 - 7:30 pm on a rough lawn down by the tennis courts. The last couple practices, I have gone in my work clothes (dress pants, button-up shirt, dress shoes) so you can just imagine what I look like at the end of practice. (Hint: Sweaty. Veeeeeerrrry Sweaty.)

Plus, mosquitoes in Japan are enormous and love type O blood. I know. And they come out to dine every night, around 6:05 pm in my experience. So on one hand, everyone is exhausted by the intense heat and humidity, but on the other hand, no one wants to stand still very long because they're being eaten alive.

But it is a fun experience to teach Japanese kids. I use a mix of English and Japanese to teach, and I think they mostly understand what I'm talking about. I also have a very good helper, who is not only good at Jodo, but also good at English. So I guess it's not all bad ... but I wish they could just find us some floorspace somewhere INSIDE a building. I hate to think what's going to happen when rainy season starts (like, tomorrow).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home